A-Z Challenge Day 6 (F)- Fangirl

FLadies and gentleman, I am unashamed to admit that I am in fact, a fangirl.

And one of the things I have learned through my research on this topic is that fangirl has a very negative connotation. Fangirls are thought of as ditzy and shallow and generally very obsessive. See the definitions from dictionary.com and Urban Dictionary below.

Definition 1- from www.dictionary.com

FanΒ·girl [fan-gurl]- noun Informal: Often Disparaging.

“an obsessive female fan, especially of something technological or from popular culture.”

Definition 2- from www.urbandictionary.com

“(playful, good-natured) less extreme, a female fan who can laugh at their own passion for their particular interest (or even obsession).”

While I know that sometimes fangirls are borderline crazy obsessive, I see myself as falling into the second definition. I don’t run around screaming that I want to have a particular actor/singer/whatever’s babies. I (and many other fangirls/fanboys I know) just want to talk about the things in pop culture that I love.

What exactly do I fangirl over? Why, books of course!!! What else would I have a fangirl moment about?!?

Well other than Doctor Who or Supernatural. Because yeah…

I think that books are an okay thing to fangirl or obsess over to an extent. Books encourage creativity and urge you to think. So even the fangirls who write fanfiction are inspired by the books they read and want to continue their own story in their own way.

Very few books make me feel like this…

SPNfangirlingBut some of them do. I like being so excited about a book, series, or author that I can talk about them with other people who feel the same way I do. Why do you think I started Amanda’s Nose in a Book? I don’t see my form of fangirling as a negative thing at all.

I have fangirled over:

• The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
  • Harry Potter (books and movies)
  • The Hunger Games (books and movies)
  • The Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus series

And that is just because they are excellent stories with characters that I love that I can escape in or relate to in one form or another.

Maybe we should give the fangirls a break. At least the ones who are simply passionate about the things that they love and who can laugh at themselves because of thier passions/obsessions. The other ones are hopefully 12 years old and will someday grow out of it.

What makes you a fangirl or a fanboy? Do you think of it as a positive thing?

19 thoughts on “A-Z Challenge Day 6 (F)- Fangirl

1. lilajune says:

I have just recently decided to ‘own’ the title of fangirl… It does have negative connotations but I have also met some very intelligent fascinating people who love some of the books I love as much as I do… I’m married to a D&D guy though so geek culture is nothing to be ashamed of in our household πŸ˜‰

2. littlecely says:

Fangirl here! I actually used the same topic for my F day back at my blog with the same intention of people giving fangirls a break. Except that I’m defending the crazy fangirls somewhat.

Oh and I added this post as a link for related posts at the end of my blog post. I hope you don’t mind.

3. Harliqueen says:

I am a total fangirl, and easily fangirl over a lot of things because I love to show my passion for works other have created that I get sucked into! πŸ˜€ Great post.

4. Sam says:

I unabashedly fangirl Harry Potter. I don’t think it’s a bad thing at all. I read the books that inspired me to read and write. I watch the movies (maybe a little too often) and can talk about them with my husband. It doesn’t define me at all, it’s something I enjoy, like being a golf aficionado. There’s no problem with that.

5. dianatierney3 says:

In a lot of ways it does have a negative connotation. I highly recommend reading “Fangasm” it gives such great insight into fangirling. I feel like I fall into the second definition for sure.

6. parichitasingh says:

You’re a fantasy fan. And now since you’ve fangirled, you should probably read that novel(Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell) too. You’ll associate with the character. πŸ˜›

7. bookmammal says:

I don’t call myself a fangirl, ( I haven’t been the “girl” age group in quite a few years!) but I do identify as an unapologetic book geek–and I do “geek out” over favorite books. I don’t think there’s ever anything wrong with sharing your passion for something that you love–especially when what you love is books!

8. 0hmyword says:

I fangirl too much, I’m a fangirl-ho!

– Books: Skulduggery Pleasant series [Derek Landy. Get them, they’re the goods], The King Killer Chronicles: The Name of the Wind & The Wiseman’s Fear [Patrick Rothfuss. Read fantasy? Read these books!]

– Tv Series: Doctor Who = M.F.S – Massive Fangirl Syndrome, Game of Thrones, Bob’s Burgers, Daria.

Basically, If I love it…I’ll fangirl the life out of it.

9. boricuanworms says:

I am a total fangirl! I squeal in excitement over DW merchandise. My best friend gave me a pin, and I definitely fangirled over that. Fangirl is my mood most of the time, lol.
    -Marianne