A-Z Challenge Day 7 (G)- Genre

G

I have heard Young Adult literature classified as a genre, which couldn’t be more wrong. Young Adult, like middle grade, or even adult literature signifies the audience for which the book is intended. As I have found, many books intended for YA, MG, or adults are considered to be cross over books, which means they appeal to people in many different age groups.

634_mollybird1011357849455

Genre is classified as the category or kind of story a book falls in to. For example, I am currently reading a lot of paranormal, science fiction, dystopian, and fantasy books.

As a reader and book blogger, I find myself circling a couple of genres for a while before I get tired of the tropes and stories in that particular genre and move onto another one. This is something that I have been working on. I am trying to get out of my comfort zone and expose myself to other genres.

As I noted in my Contemporary YA lit post, I am really far behind in reading books in this genre. I have made a goal to read 8 contemporary books (one each month- either YA or adult) in this genre for the rest of 2014. I would also like to read at least 2 classics that I haven’t yet read this year. This is in the hopes to expose myself to books that I may not typically pick up on my own.

One genre that I try to stay away from is Chick Lit. While I am not bashing it by any means, and some of it is very good, it just isn’t my style. I am really not into reading about shopping or reading romance novels because those really aren’t things I am interested in in my actual life.

I would love to know your thoughts:

What genres do you typically find yourself reading? Do you think that you read a good mix of different genres?

Is there a genre that you try to stay away from?

0 thoughts on “A-Z Challenge Day 7 (G)- Genre

1. Nadia @ Nadia Reads says:

Lately I’ve been reading a lot of YA fantasy. I think about 90% of the books I’ve read this year can fit into that genre! Crazy, huh? I do want to expand a little, or a lot, more, but I seem to always go back to this!

I have been reading a lot of YA fantasy/paranormal/dystopian this year. I am trying to broaden what I am reading, but with all of the work I am doing for the A-Z Challenge and for Camp NaNo this month, it is nearly impossible for me to find time to read.

2. Harliqueen says:

A good post, very interesting topic. I like to think I read a wide range of genres from thrillers to fantasy. Anything that sounds good I am willing to give a go, no matter what genre it supposedly falls into 😀

3. drowninmelancholy says:

At the moment I more often read classics, especially for university. But I often do read fantasy novels as well. I also love the kind of novels that Paulo Coelho writes, but I am noz sure which category they belong to 😀
    One genre I would never read is hostorical novels. They are soooo boring!

I read a lot of classics and historical documents when I was in college as well. Some of the classics I loved. Others I couldn’t wait to be finished with.

I don’t mind historical fiction all that much, even though I don’t read it too often.I have read a couple of wonderful YA historical fiction novels that were very well written and surprisingly enjoyable!

• drowninmelancholy says:

I have also read a few novels which could be considered as YA historical fiction, but they weren’t set too back in history. I think it was set at the end of the 19th century. This is okay. But anything before can be way too boring sometimes. Of course I read books that were actually written at that time. But I don’t really like books that were written today but set in the past. I could never read a book from Ken Follet for example 😀

4. bookmammal says:

I read a lot in a lot of different genres. My favorites are realistic contemporary fiction, psychological thrillers, food/cooking memoirs and narratives, and narrative nonfiction. (I’m actually planning my “N” post around my favorite types of nonfiction!). I don’t really read romance, science fiction, or fantasy. Nothing against these genres or the people who read them–they’re just not my thing. You can’t like everything, right? 🙂

5. dianatierney3 says:

I go through phases with genres. It all really depends on my mood. I have considered YA a genre personally because there are a lot of YA books I just don’t like. Lol, my friends have to avoid saying YA if they want to get me to read a ya book.

6. Michelle says:

YA everything, although I am finding myself wanting to read some New Adult books or some adult genres. YA is my life though, it’s basically everything that I read, and probably will read forever.

Please visit my book blog, http://www.thatgirlybookworm.blogspot.ca

I’m doing the A-Z Challenge and my theme focuses on books with the title featuring the letter of the day!

I love reading YA, mostly because of the sheer amount of imagination I find in these books that I also find lacking in so many books written for adults.
      Thank you for visiting my blog! I will check yours out too!

7. organizednowplease says:

Young adult to me is like a rating for movies. There are lots of different movies that have the same rating (PG , G, PG-13, or R). Just because they have the same rating, they are not the same genre. Young adult means it’s appropriate or interesting to that age group not a specific style of writing or topic.