Confessions of a Book Blogger: Reading Slump Update

bloggraphicInstead of a What I’m Reading & Writing Wednesday this week, I will be writing a Confessions of a Book Blogger (because I have still yet to finish either of the books I’ve been reading for about 3 weeks now). So. Frustrating.

harry-potter-4Last week, I expressed my frustration because for the first time ever, I felt like I was in a reading slump. I was feeling entirely overwhelmed with work other than reading (because I do 99% of my reading for pleasure— it shouldn’t feel like work!). But it did feel like work. I was about 1/4 of the way through a really good book and still didn’t want to pick it up and read it. So it stayed on my nightstand and stared me in the face, or I carried it around in my bag every day and felt guilty when I didn’t pick it up on my break.

tumblr_m0l1c9JE6X1r6gc77Aww, poor Dean, don’t cry— the book isn’t really mocking you.

So I asked all of you– what do you think I should do? And asked if you have ever experienced this before. I was so excited to see the support that I got from fellow book bloggers and readers. Some had advice and tips and others told me that they were feeling the same way. I would just like to say, that you guys and gals are amazing— this is such a supportive community.

Last weekend was a busy one, but I made myself sit outside in the sun and read for about an hour on both Saturday and Sunday. It wasn’t a cure for my slump, but I felt so much better for having read something and for making progress. I am hoping to finish Days of Blood and Starlight by this weekend and I am going to read How to Write Irresistible Kidlit when I start writing again. “Kidlit” is good, it’s more of an informational book— not something that I would really read for pleasure. And with my reading slump I want to do more pleasure reading— and less what I feel I should be reading.

74370So after I finish Days of Blood and Starlight, I’m not going to jump directly into the third book in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy. I think I need to wait and read a shorter book or two before I do that. Dreams of Gods and Monsters is a pretty darn chunky book and I think I need to re-read a shorter favorite and maybe read a shorter book I haven’t read before. Then I will take on Dreams of Gods and Monsters.

One of the books I am planning to read is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. I haven’t read this book in so long and I picked up an anniversary edition of it at the bookstore a month or so ago.

What are some other shorter books you would recommend I read?

Do you think I should be doing something differently?

13 thoughts on “Confessions of a Book Blogger: Reading Slump Update

1. ChrissiReads says:

I know the feeling when you feel put off by a larger book. Sometimes it’s just easier to read shorter reads and get more read! However, I think when you really enjoy a book it doesn’t take long to read it at all. I’m currently reading Take Me On by Katie McGarry and despite it being longer than my average read I’m whizzing through it! I hope you can find something to take you out of your reading slump.

2. dianatierney3 says:

I devoured of God’s and Monsters in a few days. I was feeling a bit of a book slump until I got to that series. But I fully understand where you are at. I have a few larger books that I have been putting off for a while.

3. jenspenden says:

Not sure if you’ve read any of these, but here are some of my rec’s: “Thirteen Reasons Why”, “The Giver”, “Two Boys Kissing”, “If I Stay”/”Where She Went”, “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”,

I have read a couple of them, but it might be time for a re-read of “The Giver.”
      Thanks for the recommendations. I also need to pick up Two Boys Kissing because I’ve heard such wonderful things.

4. deliabattie says:

I’d definitely recommend a good YA book for curing a reading slump, they usually get into the storyline and engage you quickly. Try Noughts and Crosses if you haven’t read it yet. It’s not particularly slim but it’s a very quick read.

5. alexinbookland says:

I’m sorry about your reading slump! I think I’ve had it in the past but normally I have other things I like to do (TV/Film etc) that I just let it run it’s course even though I can be like ‘I REALLY wanna read you but I just can’t right now.’
    Short books to read hmmm… definitely re-reading a favourite book is a good way to go. If you have read it; the first Harry Potter? That always gets me right back into it.
    Other short books… The Chronicles of Narnia books are short and quick but obviously that’s a series and could just give you more stress. Stand alones that I loved and are simple and cute: Bridge to Terabithia and Charlotte’s Web.
    You could also try something different and maybe (if you wanted) try a graphic novel or a comic or manga? They take like 30 minutes – 1 hour or so max.
    Good luck!! I hope I somehow helped.

I might read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Even if it is part of a series, I’ve read it before and it could stand alone if I wanted it to 🙂

I have a couple of graphic novels but could probably find more at the library (hopefully) in town or on campus. *fingers crossed*

6. Girl in the Pages says:

I think re-reading an old favorite is a great way to go. That way you know you’re going into something you’ll enjoy! I haven’t been in a reading slump lately myself, rather I’ve been moving and it seems impossible to make time to read, and sometimes it’s hard to find the motivation to tackle a big book when you can only devote a half hour a day to it- it feels so choppy!