Giving Camp NaNoWriMo Another Try.

2014-Participant-Facebook-Cover

I tried Camp NaNoWriMo in April, the same month I attempted the A-Z challenge, took a trip to visit a friend, my computer decided to stop working and I had an unbelievable amount of other things going on in my life. Needless to say, I wasn’t very successful and that was really disappointing for me.

I am going to give it another shot in July. However I don’t really know what to write.

I can keep working on revisions of the novel I’ve been working on since last November, which I finally feel I have a decent grasp on (even though I have a million questions, mostly ones that actually require another human being to read my work– which I am so nervous about).

or…

I can start a new, fresh novel, which is barely planned out in my head. Luckily I still have time to outline a bit and come up with the big and important events in the story.

What would you suggest I do? Keep working on the one that I have been trying to make progress with or start a new novel?

Also, I am almost to the point where I would like to talk to a critique partner about my first chapter.  I know that this isn’t a whole lot to have someone read and respond to, but I have a couple of questions that would change the way I write the rest of the novel.

First off, I am wondering if I should continue writing in 1st person, or if I should re-write in 3rd.

I am toying with writing with multiple perspectives (my first draft is writting in dual perspetives) or just telling the story from the main character’s perspective. I am afraid that using multiple perspectives might give too much away when it comes to the plot twists and such.

Where would you go to get a critique partner?

What have your experiences been with critique partners?

I’m so scared to have someone else read what I’ve written. What if they hate it and think my writing sucks? It’s a huge work in progress, but I feel like it’s the right next step to take so that I make the right choices in the future.

0 thoughts on “Giving Camp NaNoWriMo Another Try.

1. lifewritermegan says:

Sounds like you’re a budding writer! Good for you. Full of questions. Pick one and delve into that. Then move on to a next. Having a blog is a great learning source. You’ve already taken a huge step in that. I go to a writers group, that’s a lot of help. Some classes on creative writing? Reading books? There’s much to learn and it’s fun. Keep that passion and don’t give up! It’s hard to let someone read your work, maybe start with someone you love–a family member or friend. Good luck to you!

Thank you for your feedback and for stopping by my blog!

I really should look to see if there are any writing groups in my community. If not, I might have to create one myself! I’ve taken a couple of classes throughout my education and that is where a lot of the ideas for my novels began, but since they were only a semester-long those ideas never became fully-formed. I would eventually like to write these stories, as they are still running around my head and are dying to come out on paper.

It is so hard to have another person read my work. I just want the people close to me to like it and am afraid that since they are so close to me that I won’t get honest, constructive feedback. Eek. I know I have to though, so hopefully that will come about sooner rather than later.

• lifewritermegan says:

It is tough and nerve racking. I’ve had a mentor tell me to forget fantasy writing altogether! I said, “forget you.” For me, I just put pen to paper and write write write. But I have to be in the mood.
        About writing groups: they ebb and flow, people add to, people leave. And a lot of it is BORING. It gets you feedback though. There’s also some online critique groups. I’ve been too nervous to post on those though. I just let my family and friends read, plus my writers group.

I have taken some writing classes that were workshop based and I really enjoyed them. I hope that I can find a writing group that has a similar feel to it because the workshops were really helpful!

I would be too nervous to post to online critique groups at least at this stage.

• lifewritermegan says:

We could be critique buddies? I don’t have anyone online to do that. Just in person from my writing group and family. I have starts to a lot of stories. It would be fun to share and read new ideas from someone else. What do you think? I write only fantasy but read all sorts of genres.

That would actually be really fun! Right now I am working on a 3rd draft of my first two chapters, which I am looking to send to a CP to learn more about the direction I should take. It’s paranormal/sci-fi ish and I’ve had a ton of fun writing it so far!

If you’d like, you can email me at amandamarie5187 at gmail (dot) com and we can chat a little bit more about our work!

2. Sam says:

I found critique partners through my writing groups. After going to a few meetings, I got a good feel for who in the group would know my genre the best and be able to give the best feedback. There are a lot of on-line critique groups as well as in-person groups if you’re looking in the right places.

Or hey, maybe some of the people here on your blog might be willing to help. It never hurts to ask.

Unfortunately I don’t know if we have many writing groups where I live, but hey, I could always start one 🙂

I didn’t think of asking my blogging friends. I think I would feel more comfortable asking them rather than people on another site that I don’t know at all. Great suggestion, and thank you <3

• Sam says:

If you’re looking for writing groups, ask at your local book stores. Many times they’ll use that as a venue so the store will know when they meet and who the contact is. Libraries will frequently have some as well (or at least give them meeting space). I’ve found a lot of my groups on Meetup.com so you can always try there.

3. bookgeeking says:

I would keep writing the one you we were working on, unless you feel at a stand still, maybe a break would do you good, give you fresh eyes when you go back to it. I am going for it again in July. Got it all sorted, I am actually going to do it this time though. Good luck 🙂

4. jenspenden says:

I highly recommend you take the plunge and find a beta reader to critique your first chapter. I know it’s terrifying, but the feedback is SO worth it.

Personally, I found most of my beta readers while participating in the NYC Midnight Short Story and Flash Fiction Challenges. During these competitions, writers are given access to a forum where they can share their work and critique others. As you might suspect, many of us on the forum created friendships beyond the competition, and have agreed to critique each other’s bigger pieces of work…NYC Midnight is a great community and a terrific source to find beta readers you like and trust for honest feedback.

Thank you so much for the advice, Jen! I actually found a fellow writer and blogger yesterday who, like me, needs a beta reader to help with some critique and feedback. It makes me very nervous to share this novel with another person, but I know it can do nothing but make it stronger.

I will try to look into NYC Midnight. Thank you so much for the tip and encouragement 🙂

• jenspenden says:

Oh, good! I’m glad you found a beta reader. One of the scariest things to do as a writer is share your work. I’m terrified of being judged/laughed at/dismissed as an idiot/etc…lol! I think that’s been one of the biggest advantages of the NYC Midnight comps. I’ve learned to overcome those fears and feel more confident with my work.

The NYC Midnight Flash Fiction 2014 starts in August, so you should definitely look into it. And if you want another set of eyes in the future, feel free to contact me 🙂 I wouldn’t mind at all!