Monday Musings: Camp NaNoWriMo or A-Z Challenge?

Camp-Participant-2015-Web-BannerAs I did last April, I’ve signed up to participate in both Camp NaNo and the April A-Z Challenge and it’s with a heavy heart that I have to choose between the two.

Camp NaNoWriMo would be a great opportunity for me to write the ending to The Girl in the Glass Coffin. I’ve chosen my word count goal, 10k words, and am in an awesome cabin with my friend Tracy.

The A-Z Challenge is an amazing way to make a routine of blogging and to discover new blogs/make friends. I tried very hard to participate in this last year, wrote the majority of my posts ahead of time, but fizzled out about halfway through the month.

Because I decided to do both of these challenges at the same time, both suffered. I didn’t meet my goal for Camp NaNoWriMo and I didn’t get to Z in the A-Z Challenge.

I have a habit of biting off more than I can chew. I’m leaning more toward Camp NaNoWriMo, as i don’t even have an A-Z Challenge theme yet, and I have plenty of ideas for the last 5 chapters of The Girl in the Glass Coffin.

What would you do?

Are you doing either one of these challenges? Both? Do you ever take on too much all at once and then flounder?

0 thoughts on “Monday Musings: Camp NaNoWriMo or A-Z Challenge?

1. Kate M. Colby says:

Obviously, I’m a random stranger here, but since you are leaning towards Camp NaNoWriMo and have more ideas for that than the A-Z Challenge, I would say you should go with Camp. I’m doing Camp, and I thought about throwing in the A-Z Challenge, too, but like you, I don’t want to overwhelm myself. Plus, I know that writing a book is more important to my long term goals than the blog building. So maybe consider what your longer term writing goals are and they might lead you in the right direction for you. Good luck!

• Amanda Marie says:

Thanks Kate! Glad to know that I’m not the only one having trouble deciding between the two and trying not to get overwhelmed.

Will you be blogging about Camp NaNoWriMo as you go? I’d love to learn more about your process and your project!

• Kate M. Colby says:

I will probably blog about Camp NaNoWriMo once a week — unless something exciting happens that makes me want to update more often. When I did NaNoWriMo in November, I did daily updates, but I think that might bore my blog readers to death! lol

2. alexinbookland says:

I’ve never heard of the April A to Z before so I’d naturally would have picked Camp. But I don’t have time for either! ='[ Good luck with which ever (or both) you decided to do!

3. Kat says:

I’m doing the A to Z challenge for the first time- no theme for this first year- but hoping to complete it. I’ve never done Camp NaNo in April so that wasn’t on my radar.

4. CompGeekDavid says:

They serve very different purposes! A to Z is great for finding new blogs, and new bloggers finding you. The traffic surge we saw yesterday was pretty great, and people clearly looking through the archives… That said, keeping blog engagement up could easily be a full time job (that doesn’t pay well). Or there’s writing… which doesn’t pay well 😉 Decisions, decisions. Good luck with either/or!

• Amanda Marie says:

Thank you! I’m still considering using the weekend to catch up from the first couple of days. I would love to do both, but like you said… both could be separate full time jobs. And neither pay well— or anything in my case. Yikes.

• CompGeekDavid says:

Well, and so much of it is about interaction, as well… reading others’ blogs, replying to comments, things like that. A to Z is a busy time when done “right.”

I’m not actually helping, am I? 😉