Top Ten Hyped Books I've Never Read

toptentuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s theme is Top Ten Hyped Books I’ve Never Read. With so many books coming out on a weekly basis (and the hype that surrounds them) it’s hard to keep up with all of them. Here are ten hyped books that I’ve never read– most of which I’d like to in the future.

1. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

anna-lola-isla

Yeah, I know. I’m a bad book blogger! This book (and it’s companion novels) is/are everywhere.

2. The Selection (series) by Kiera Cass

selection-series

I’m not entirely sure if this is a series that I would enjoy, but I would eventually like to give the first book a shot to see if I’d like it.

3. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

throne-of-glass-cover

But this one is really close to the top of my TBR list, so it will be read this summer!

4. City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

9781442416895_email-1-265x400Another one I’d eventually like to read. But I don’t know when because I have to re-read the rest of the series first. Considering how many books are on my TBR list, I don’t know when I’m going to have time for that.

5. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

coverfullI got a little preview of this book before it came out, which made me really want to read it. And I’ve heard so many awesome things on booktube and blogs.

6. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

thWhile I love fantasy, this is one series (both book and television show) that I haven’t gotten into the hype. Maybe someday, but I doubt this one (even though everyone loves it). It might just not be my thing.

7. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

isbn9780753827666I’ve heard some awesome things about this book, but for some reason haven’t picked it up. Eventually I will, though.

8. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

books-vampire-academy-coverMy friend Crystal from my writer’s group keeps telling me to read this series. Maybe someday I’ll have the time… maybe.

And I’m sure that there are more. But I can’t think of them off the top of my head right now. What are some hyped books that you haven’t read yet? Are there any books you’ve found totally worth the hype, and others not so much?

24 thoughts on “Top Ten Hyped Books I've Never Read

1. Kellsworth says:

I absolutely loved Gone Girl! I want to hug Gillian Flynn and buy her a coffee or tea for writing that book.
    I actually own a copy of A Game of Thrones, and it’s still sitting in my TBR pile where it’s been for over a year…
    One hyped book that I tried to read is If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I really, really wanted to like it because I heard people make such a big deal about it. I made it about twenty pages in, hated the writing style and all the characters, and promptly returned it. Like my roommate said…”Life’s too short to read books you don’t enjoy!”

• Amanda Marie says:

Yeah I finished reading If I Stay and was less than thrilled. My friend from work really wanted me to read it and go see the movie, otherwise I wouldn’t have finished it.

Love your philosophy about books you don’t like. I have difficulty not finishing books, even if I don’t like them.

• Kellsworth says:

I used to feel the same way. It felt kind of like an obligation to see the book through to the end. I was trying to read The Interestings, and I really didn’t like the main character, but I slogged through page after page. Jasmine, my roommate, asked me why I would read something I didn’t like. I didn’t have a good reason other than “because I have to”, so I put it down, and haven’t looked back since.

2. aetherhouse says:

Gone Girl is great, although you could save yourself some “To Be Read” time and just watch the movie (which is on the HBO Now streaming service, if you have that!). It’s one of those adaptations that is so close to the source material that they’re almost interchangeable. But, I think the movie gets to the point a bit faster (the first 100 pages of the book become a little tedious) and the big, powerful, juicy messages are conveyed equally well in both. And as Stephaniesbookreviews said, the book ending is a little anticlimactic, but the movie pulls it off somewhat better.

• Amanda Marie says:

Hmmm I will have to check it out. I don’t have HBO Now, so it might be a little harder for me to get the movie.
      It might be the book lover and English teacher in me but I struggle with the idea of watching the movie in lieu of reading the book.

• Amanda Marie says:

Yeah that’s one reason why I’m hesitant to even give A Game of Thrones a chance. I’m ok with sex and violence, but I’ve heard that it’s pretty gratuitous— which isn’t my cup of tea.
      But that’s ok. Every book isn’t for everyone. 🙂

3. Caught Read Handed says:

The Anna and the French Kiss books are absolutely perfect for summer! I haven’t read The Selection series either and I don’t think I’d really like them, but I might give them a shot too. ToG is awesome, by the way!
    My TTT!

4. lipsyy says:

Oooh I’ve read and enjoyed a lot of these. Definitely recommend The Selection and VA for sheer entertainment and addictiveness! I should have put the Anna series on mine too – I’ll probably never get round to reading them!

• Amanda Marie says:

Having some books around for simply entertainment purposes is a great idea. I might grab the first Vampire Academy book or two from my library after I finish the couple I’m reading right now.

5. Analee @ Book Snacks says:

Anna and the French Kiss is on my list as well! XD I’ve heard so much about it, but I just haven’t read them yet. I personally enjoyed The Selection, but there are a lot of mixed reviews. But I absolutely loved the Throne of Glass series! I really hope you enjoy it as well once you read it. An Ember in the Ashes and City of Heavenly Fire are both great too. 😉 Game of Thrones and Gone Girl are on my TBR as well, and although I’m not quite sure whether I want to read Game of Thrones, I really want to read Gone Girl. Great list!

6. jenspenden says:

I wasn’t a fan of Gone Girl. However, I partly blame all the hype. I went into it with high, high expectations.

The Selection series is okay. I LOVED the first book, but the second two were kinda annoying/boring.

I read the first Throne of Glass, and I liked it. But I never felt the impulse to read the rest of the series. Maybe someday?

I loved COHF. I was going to re-read the entire series first like you want to, but then I decided to just look up summaries of them so I could get going on it, lol.

I’m not ashamed to admit I loved Vampire Academy. Those books are beyond addicting. I would recommend taking a small break after the third so you don’t lose steam/interest by the sixth.

Happy reading!