One thing that NaNoWriMo really helps me with is creating a daily writing routine. As a writer, I understand the importance of writing something every single day (or at least working on my WIP in some way).
But how do you continue a writing routine after the schedule and pressure of NaNoWriMo is over?
This is just one of the things I’ve struggled with since coming back from the holiday crazy time where I think I wrote/revised one chapter in my novel.
I didn’t focus on my writing for one whole month. That routine that I developed in October and November went ka-put. Now that I am working on TGGC again, I need a new writing routine. Otherwise I will never get anything done.
It takes about 30 days to make something a habit. My goal is to write or work on my novel for at least one hour a day for the next 30 days.
How am I going to do this?
1. Use a calendar
- Mark days where I work for 1 hour
- Mark when I work for more than 1 hour
- Set weekly writing goals for myself.
- Word Counts
- Chapters revised or written (usually I shoot for 2).
2. Set aside separate time for blogging and a separate spot in my notebook/document on my computer
- Blogging is very important to me, but it can distract me from other things that need to be done.
3. Reward myself for a job well done
- For example- Did I go 1 whole week achieving my goal of 1 hour per day?
- Did I hit my word count or chapter goal?
- I will let myself go on an extra long walk or something that will help to replenish my energy and creativity.
4. Make my document full screen
- So I can;’t see when an email pops up or someone Facebook messages me. Biggest distractions ever.
5. Put my phone in the other room
- If someone needs to get ahold of me, they can wait an hour.
What is your writing routine? What do you do to eliminate distractions? Let’s chat!!!